Watermelons and melons on ridges in open ground are most often grown in the southern regions, but the use of competent technology, as well as the right choice of variety, allows you to grow a decent crop of melons and gourds in the middle lane of our country, as well as in the more northern regions.
The best varieties of melon for open ground
A correctly selected variety is one of the components for obtaining a high-quality and plentiful crop of such a heat-loving melon crop as melon in a home gardening environment.
If even late-ripening varieties and hybrids can be used for cultivation in the southern regions, then in central Russia and risky farming zones, it is necessary to give preference to early and early ripening varieties, the formation of which is carried out as soon as possible.
The best varieties of watermelon for open ground
It is easiest to grow heat-loving watermelons in open ground in southern Russia, and in other areas, amateur melon growers most often prefer the greenhouse cultivation of sweet berries. However, in recent years, several fundamentally new ones have been obtained that are very promising for growing varieties and hybrids of watermelon far from ideal conditions.
How to grow a watermelon (video)
Direct seed planting
To date, in the conditions of home gardening, three methods of growing gourds are actively used:
- direct sowing of culture with seeds in open ground;
- planting ordinary potted seedlings;
- planting grafted seedlings.
The first two options for growing melon and watermelon are most often used.
Both in the first and in the second case, before planting the seeds, pre-sowing preparation of planting material should be carried out:
- selection of the most full-bodied seeds with a characteristic surface coloration characteristic of the variety;
- heating of seeds at high temperature;
- disinfection of planting material by soaking in a solution of potassium permanganate;
- germination of seeds on wet tissue at room temperature.
We plant germinated seeds in a permanent place in the open ground only after the soil warms up well and the threat of return frosts passes. It is advisable to drop a pair of seeds into each planting hole, which will subsequently leave only one, the most developed plant in the hole.
Before the emergence of mass seedlings, it is desirable to cover the crops with a non-woven covering material or garden foil. The optimum temperature values for seed germination should be above 15-16 ° C. Shoots at this air temperature appear within two weeks.
Just knowing what soil gourds love, you can properly prepare the soil for growing high-quality seedlings:
- all gourds love neutral soils that are fairly light, but rich in organic compounds;
- it is allowed to grow watermelon and melon on dry and saline soils with sufficient fertility indicators;
- gourds should not be cultivated in areas represented by acidic and too moist soils;
- it is best used for planting and ridges with light medium loamy soils, avoiding cultivation on sandy and heavy loamy soils;
Melon cultivation in the open ground (video)
- for deep digging of the soil, it is recommended to make half a bucket of humus or manure;
- clay soils should be improved by adding humus and coarse sand at the rate of a bucket per square meter of planting area;
- the prepared soil for growing seedlings should be improved through basic complex fertilizers;
- in the spring, when preparing the site for planting seedlings, for each square meter it is necessary to make 15-25 g of potassium salt and 35-45 g of superphosphate;
- A very good result is given by the spring application of nitrogen fertilizers at the rate of 15-25 g per square meter of planted area.
It should be noted that the sowing of gourds for seedlings must be carried out no later than mid-late Aprilthat will allow in a month to get a plant that is ready for planting in a permanent place, a strong and well-developed plant. Melon should be planted in a permanent place with a distance of a meter from each other. The planting pattern for a watermelon when placing two plants in a nest is 2.1 x 2.1 m, and with the method of alternating one plant in a nest with two seedlings, it is 1.5 x 1.8 m.
Care for the melon should be extremely competent, since this gourds are very responsive to the right agricultural technology and form the highest, high-quality crop when performing the following measures:
- melon is more moisture-loving than watermelon, so you need to water the plant weekly;
- plants should be fed three times during the growing season;
- the first fertilizing with nitrogen fertilizers is carried out a couple of weeks after planting seedlings in the ground;
- the second and subsequent feeding is carried out with an interval of two weeks with complex mineral fertilizers;
- weeding and surface loosening of soil around plants should be carried out regularly;
- the main stem in most varieties of melon is barren, so unlike watermelons and pumpkins, it must be pinched after the fourth or fifth leaf;
So that the melons do not crack, it is necessary to avoid overmoistening the soil and irrigate exclusively with warm water.
Proper care of watermelon is a guarantee of obtaining high-quality and healthy garden products. Agricultural technology for watermelon care does not have significant differences from growing other gourds, so you should water, feed, weed plants and loosen the soil in a timely manner.
Diseases and pests of gourds
In the cultivation of melon and watermelon, measures aimed at protecting plants from damage from diseases and plant parasites are very important. The fact that sprouts of gourds are hypersensitive to root rot, therefore, seed treatment must not be neglected.
In order to protect plants from the defeat of bacteriosis of leaves, watermelon and melon before the flowering period, it is imperative to treat with the Ridomil Gold preparation. Immediately after the appearance of the ovaries, it is required to use gentle fungicides with a short waiting period, for which it is desirable to use the drug "Quadris-250".
Melons: Formation (video)
Of the pests, the aphid poses a particular danger, against which a powder of the aerial parts of the plant is used with a mixture of tobacco dust and ash, and also a melon fly. Especially often this pest affects melon in the south-east of the Rostov region, as well as in the Volgograd and Astrakhan regions, and in the territory of the North Caucasus. In order to prevent and protect plants, organophosphorus compounds, neonicotinoids, pyrethroids and other modern insecticides are used.