Properly selected lawn grass always looks very aesthetically pleasing and is able to perfectly harmonize with the surrounding landscape design. The decorative surface of the lawn is the best alternative to concrete pavement when arranging a personal garden.
Characteristics of the main types of lawn
The plants and grasses used to create the lawns can be different, and what particular mixture to choose for the design of the territory depends on many factors. Today, varieties for creating a lawn coating are represented by a wide selection, but all types and main varieties are classified by the composition of the mixture, as well as the type and purpose.
How to choose lawn grass
Regardless of the composition of the lawn grass, the crops used for sowing must necessarily be perennial. Grass coverings belonging to the category of cereals are best established.which are well adapted to the soil and climatic conditions of our country. Perennial lawn grass must meet certain qualities and requirements:
- resistance to freezing;
- the presence of good external decorative qualities;
- grass cover height;
- juiciness of coloring and uniformity of germination;
- the ability to form a powerful and well-developed root system;
- resistance to ground movements;
- resistance to high compaction rates;
- the rate of build-up of green cover after cutting;
- the ability to reproduce vegetatively.
Lawn grass: varieties (video)
Before buying seeds, it is advisable to study the characteristics of the lawn and the reviews of the owners of such green coatings. Plants belonging to the category of short-rhizome cereal plants have established themselves very well.which have the following characteristics:
- resistance to sudden temperature changes and the ability to easily tolerate late autumn and early spring frosts;
- the formation of turf with high density indicators, which does not allow weeds to break through;
- ability to easily withstand frequent or, on the contrary, too rare slopes.
Properly selected herbs can solve many gardening problems, including weed control, optimal evaporation of moisture from the surface, low depletion, and maintaining a stable temperature in the summer.
Lawn mix: composition and rules of sowing
Currently, there are a huge number of types of seeds that are used in the preparation of lawn cover:
- wild lawn, which is the most common mixture of wild grasses that do not require very careful care;
- universal mixtures of low cost and used universally;
- mixtures of green carpet, in which seeds are selected based on hot and arid climatic conditions;
- shady compositions that are optimal for sowing in overly shaded areas and under garden stands;
- industrial compounds resistant to almost any mechanical damage and characterized by unpretentiousness;
- seedlings, ideal for filling voids in already formed lawn coverings, characterized by rapid growth.
How to plant lawn grass (video)
Sports grass for the lawn must be resistant to heavy loads. Such a stunted grass successfully combines unpretentiousness and appearance.
Features of sowing and the technology of creating a decorative durable coating:
- remove all rubbish from the territory, dig the soil to the depth of the shovel bayonet and carefully level it, making the surface as flat as possible;
- carefully trample the soil with your feet or lightly tamp with a special wheelchair, for which you can use a barrel filled with water;
- re-fluff and level the soil with a conventional wooden rake;
- divide the plot for sowing into standard meter squares, since zoning allows you to get the most even lawn coverage;
- if necessary, the soil is improved with the help of finished fertilizer at the rate of 50 g per each square meter of sown area;
- depending on the type of soil in the plot, measure 30-50 g of seeds per square meter of sown area;
- half of the measured seeds are sown in parallel strips inside the sowing square, and the other half in the perpendicular direction;
- carefully distribute the seeds with a slight indentation along the entire perimeter of the lawn surface using a wooden rake;
- carefully but abundantly water the entire sown area from a watering can.
The optimal period for sowing is the second half of summer or early spring, but it is recommended to prepare the soil for at least a month. For quick filling of the household territory, ready-made rolls of grown grass are used. Such a coating quickly adapts to soil and climatic conditions and easily takes root at the landing site.
Decorative grass for lawns
When buying mixtures for creating lawn coatings, you must pay attention to the composition. In most regions of our country, unpretentious plants resistant to adverse external factors with high decorative qualities are suitable for cultivation.
In soil and climatic conditions, it is highly recommended not to sow plants such as sheep fescue, soddy pike and perennial ryegrass for the purpose of creating a grassy cover.
How to care for the lawn (video)
To perform a high-quality and durable green grassy coating, specially developed lawn mixtures are used, which are perfectly adapted to soil and climatic conditions and do not need too much care. However, if you need to get a lawn as soon as possible, it is recommended to carry out the way of a modern rolled lawn.