Pear "Limonka" refers to the summer varieties of the Lower Volga folk selection, beloved by many gardeners and summer residents. The high-yielding and delicious variety has an unknown genetic origin, and the description of the table variety is based on data obtained by gardeners as a result of growing fruit trees in a home garden.
Varietal characteristics and features
Pear "Lemon" refers to vigorous fruit plants, the height of which in conditions of competent and proper care reaches six or more meters. The standard crown width is also quite impressive and can exceed five meters in diameter. As a rule, the crown is rounded, with average density indicators.
Fruits of medium size, aligned ovoid, weighing no more than 95-100 g. The main color of the skin is lemon yellow, without a blush on the surface of the fruit.
The pulp is greenish in color, with large granulation and sufficient density. Taste is mediocre. The taste is sour. A slight aroma is present. Removable maturity occurs in the last decade of August. Harvested crops can retain their taste characteristics and marketable appearance for no more than a week. In some years, severe flaking of fruits can be observed.
How to plant a pear (video)
Care requirements for the first year of planting
The Pear "Limonka" is unpretentious in leaving and with the minimum observance of agricultural technology forms annual and high yields. This variety was included in the State register of fruit crops of Ukraine. The variety belongs to the category of self-infertile, which involves the planting of pollinating varieties. The most commonly used varieties by gardeners are the Bessemyanka, the Williams pear, the Ilyinka and Forest Beauty varieties.
Standard measures for the care of young fruit plantings are as follows:
- at the stage of intensive growth and fruit loading, it is necessary to carry out abundant watering of fruit stands at the rate of twenty buckets per one young plant;
- in the summer it is necessary to carry out activities such as weeding and loosening of the soil of trunks;
- in the autumn period, young fruit plantations need high-quality warming of the stem and mulching of the soil in the trunk circles;
- in order to ensure the full growth and development of the fruit tree, the formation of the crown should begin from the second year of life;
- the obligatory procedures for caring for a young pear necessarily include annual treatment of plants aimed at the prevention of diseases and the destruction of plant parasites;
- the procedure for spraying trees is required to be performed not only before the appearance of buds, but also before and after mass flowering.
To maintain viability and extend the period of fruit tree productivity, fertilizers should be applied. For top dressing, it is recommended to use both organic and complex fertilizers. At the stage of mass flowering and after the receding ovaries, it is recommended to feed fruit trees with mixtures based on nitrogen, phosphorus and potassium.
Despite the high winter hardiness, when cultivating this variety in more northern regions, it is necessary to warm the stem with burlap or spruce branches, as well as high-quality mulching of trunks. Preparing fruit stands for winter involves top dressing, water-charging irrigation and whitewashing of trunks.
Tips and reviews of gardeners
The table variety Variety Limonka has such pronounced advantages as high winter hardiness and differs from other varieties by the one-dimensionality of the fruit. According to gardeners, the variety is characterized by resistance to diseases and a low risk of being infected by insect pests. The fruits are used fresh and are well suited for the manufacture of various food products, including pickling, drying or other types of processing.
How to prune a pear (video)
Significant growth force of fruit plantations and a tendency to shed fruit make this variety not very popular among summer residents cultivating pears in small garden areas, and a very mediocre taste made it possible to displace this variety with newer and sweeter varieties of pear from domestic or foreign selection.