Phalaenopsis is a unique plant, represented by many varieties that differ in color, size, aroma. In total, there are 25 thousand natural species and 100 thousand hybrids in nature, and each of them, when grown at home, needs its own cache-pot.
What do orchids need
Purchased Phalaenopsis needs to provide a suitable "housing", which includes:
As a rule, plants are sold in transparent pots made of plastic. They are great for growing flowers in a greenhouse, but do not have a decorative look. And keeping Phalaenopsis at home in this form is uncomfortable: it will stand unstable, water will flow out.
It turns out that every orchid when growing at home requires a cache-pot. There is no hole for draining water in it, you can put the plant directly in a plastic pot in this container. You can buy a flower pot in the store or do it yourself.
Requirements for cache-pots
Phalaenopsis can feel great in any capacity:
- plastic, etc.
There is an opinion that the cache-pot, in which the orchid is supposed to be planted, must be transparent, supposedly because the roots receive more light and photosynthesis is more active. In fact, the transparency of the container is not very important for the plant.
Choosing a pot is not difficult, but you should pay attention to the correct location of the plant in it. It is important that the orchids are at a finger-wide distance from the edge of the pot. So the soil will dry out in a timely manner, and the air circulation will be good. If you do not follow this rule, the flower will die.
So, choosing a pot for an orchid, you must adhere to the following recommendations:
- The width of the pot should be larger than a transparent pot, so that the soil has time to dry out after watering, and the air circulation goes well.
- In a cache-pot there should be a special recess at the bottom for water drainage.
- The container should have an attractive appearance and be combined with the overall design of the room.
Rules for planting orchids in flower pots without draining
When placing Phalaenopsis in a pot without draining, several rules should be followed.
- Orchid must be healthy.
- The soil for it should be chosen optimally, the best option is pieces of the middle fraction bark.
- The cache-pot must fit the plant in size. No need to look for a larger capacity for the orchid, on the contrary, it should seem that the pot is cramped with the plant. You can use glass planters, vases, plastic containers without draining. Each option has its pros and cons, for example, green algae or mosses may appear in a transparent pot, but it is much easier to monitor the level of watering in it.
- It is better to transplant the orchid in glass containers at the end of flowering. If you want to make a transplant in a glass pot with a decorative purpose so that the composition looks good in the photo, the process can be carried out by transshipment - just carefully transfer the contents of the plastic pot into a vase. The remaining free space is filled with pieces of soil.
- The topsoil may be represented by sphagnum moss. It protects the bark from leaching during irrigation.
Important! During the planting, make sure that the root neck of the plant is located at the level of the upper soil layer.
Choosing a pot for orchids (video)
Which pots to choose
In nature, Phalaenopsis grows on trees, and the roots of the plant are in the open. It is necessary that nutrients come from the air to the plant, and that the orchid receives enough light.
At home, experts recommend planting an orchid in small plastic pots. The fact is that, when transplanting, it is difficult to separate the roots from the ceramic surface. Of course, you can give preference to the glass version, but such a container should have a significant number of holes.
DIY pots for plants
If you decide to make a cache-pot yourself, it is worth remembering that the capacity should slightly exceed the edges of the main plastic pot. However, it should not be too wide or cramped. An ideal option for creating a flower pot with your own hands is an ordinary plastic glass, narrowed down. The shape should be as comfortable as possible for an orchid.
It is important not only to make the cache-pot correctly, but also to place it correctly. Plastic containers weigh a little, so you should immediately consider what needs to be done so that the pot does not turn over. In addition, the plant itself needs support.
The best option for a cache-pot is a double design: an internal pot made of plastic and having drainage holes, and an external pot made of glass or ceramic. The color of the container is better to choose neutral, otherwise you can drown out the natural beauty of the orchid. The best options for shades for pots:
- pale yellow;
A container with an orchid is recommended to be placed on a well-lit window sill. However, it is important to provide the plant with protection from direct sunlight by hanging the tulle.
You can learn about other options for making flower pots on your own here.
Can I use a glass planter
The question of whether it is possible to use a glass planter for Phalaenopsis causes a lot of controversy. Many flower growers claim that a plastic container is better than a glass one, since it is often impossible to make drainage holes in the latter.
In fact, it’s okay that the plant will be in a glass planter, no. However, you will have to take care of the orchid more carefully so that it does not rot without draining.
When choosing a planter, you need to follow a few simple tips:
- Planting an orchid directly in heavy ceramic pots should not be, it is harmful to the plant.
- In the inner pot there should be an optimal number of drainage holes, but the water should not just pour out of them, but linger in the soil.
- A layer of air should remain between the pots and the main pot.
It is easier for beginners to use plastic flower pots with transparent walls, so that it is convenient to observe the state of the roots of the plant. Moreover, less salt is deposited on the plastic walls than on clay.
We also offer you to find out what to do if the orchid has stopped blooming.
How to care for Phalaenopsis orchids (video)
Now you know how to choose a cache-pot for a beautiful orchid. The right choice of capacity will ensure its growth in comfortable conditions and good development, which means that the plant will delight you with beautiful flowers for a long time.