Belarusian potato varieties have long been popular not only at home, but also in many countries where the cultivation of this vegetable crop is widespread. The names of many of these varieties and their description are well known to most potato growers in Russia. Belarusian varieties have been successfully cultivated in different climatic conditions of the regions of our country for many years.
Benefits of Belarusian Potato Varieties
The secrets of the huge success of Belarusian potatoes and many selection achievements, according to agronomists and specialists in the field of potato growing, are several at once:
- the presence of the most favorable soil-climatic conditions for the culture and the favorable geographical position of the country;
- rich long tradition in potato cultivation;
- well-equipped technical base, backed by a deep knowledge of agronomists in the field of potato growing;
- long established sales of vegetable products to many countries.
Currently, the Republican Unitary Enterprise "Scientific and Practical Center of the National Academy of Sciences of Belarus for Potato and Horticulture" is a prominent representative in the field of potato farming and the assignee of leading research institutions.
For almost a century, the Belarusian Research Institute of Potato has carried out enormous fruitful work in areas such as selection, seed production and potato production technology.
The choice of potato varieties for Belarus
Modern cultivation of potatoes is based on the principle of intended use. The purpose of this vegetable crop can be both canteen and technical. Recently, highly starchy varieties have been especially popular that satisfy the requirements of both table and technical use.
When choosing a variety of Belarusian potatoes for growing, you should pay attention to the culinary type of this vegetable crop:
- to category "A" they include varieties that have a salad purpose and are characterized by a dense texture, lack of mealyness and digestibility, as well as water content;
- to category "B" they include varieties that are good for soups, boiling and frying, characterized by a moderately dense texture, poor digestibility and mealy, as well as low water content;
- to category "C" varieties that are perfect for boiling and preparing mashed potatoes, have a soft texture, moderate mealy, low water content and good digestibility;
- to category "D" varieties that are intended for the preparation of mashed potatoes and casseroles, have a soft consistency, pronounced mealy, are characterized by a lack of water content and significant digestibility. In order to provide yourself with quality vegetable products until the next season, it is recommended to plant several varieties of potatoes with different characteristics at once.
Potato: how to choose the best (video)
The best early and mid-early grades
Currently, there is a gradation of varieties by maturity, or so-called ripeness. Superearly varieties mature in less than 80 days. For early potatoes, this period can vary from 80 to 90 days. Potato, belonging to the group of medium early, forms a crop in 90-100 days.
The best mid-season and mid-late grades
It is mid-season and mid-late potatoes that are popular in the Central Federal District, which is due not only to the excellent taste of root crops, but also to the shelf life of the crop. Mid-ripening varieties ripen in 100-110 days, and for medium-late ripening period is at least 110-120 days.
The best late and very late varieties
Late ripening potatoes are often affected by autumn frosts and are intended for cultivation exclusively in the southern regions. Late potatoes ripen in 120-130 days, and very late varieties yield at least 130-135 days later.
Features of planting and care
High yields can only be achieved by using high-quality and healthy planting material, as well as subject to the rules of soil preparation and potato growing technology. Air-thermal heating of planting material is carried out for a couple of weeks at temperature indicators not higher than 10-12 ° C. In addition, gardening of tubers is necessary. The soil should be light and fertile.
How to grow potatoes (video)
Agricultural technology for growing potatoes includes activities such as weeding, irrigation procedures, hilling, cultivating, top dressing and preventative treatments. Timely and competent care of the vegetable crop immediately after planting and throughout the growing season is a prerequisite, which will guarantee a large and high-quality crop.